What’s Happening in Growing God’s Way Children’s Ministry
Anxiety: feelings of fear or worry that are strong enough to interfere with daily activities. Anxiety effects 1 in 5 adults and 1 in 4 children. This ratio is on a steady increase after 2020. Here are some recommendations from a child’s therapist that I thought would be helpful for all of us.
· Listen , observe, and ask questions. Show love and empathy without solving the problem. That can feel like control.
· Watch their habits, see if there is any change. Ask them how they are feeling, use a 1-10 scale, or a feelings chart. Another option is to ask them to draw what they are feeling.
· Use Head, Heart, Body questions. Head-how are your thoughts, what do you think about? Heart-can you name your emotions? Body-how are you feeling physically, headache, stomach, a sore neck? If they can name why they are feeling this way, come up with a plan, and if possible make changes.
Grounding Techniques can help calm anxiety. When we are calm there is more blood flow to the front of the brain, anxiety causes more blood flow to the back of the brain. Here are some examples of Grounding Techniques:
· Name 5 things they can see, 4 things they can hear, 3 things they can smell, 2 things they can touch, 1 thing they can eat.
· Name blue items or items of any color you choose.
· Breathe, slowly and deeply, pray, and recite Bible verses.
If you see their anxiety increasing or things don’t seem right, ask for help. Please let me know how I can be praying for you and your family.
Lil’Sprouts: God Made the Water. Children will experience hands on learning with The Surprise Bag. Children are Never too young to learn about God’s creation and love.
Sprouts and Evergreens (3yrs.-5thgr.) Will continue to meet as one group throughout the summer. All children will be dismissed from the sanctuary before Pastor’s message. This month we will start to talk about Jesus’ Miracles, and we will continue with Jesus’ Miracles though the summer.
Verse: Nothing is impossible with God. Luke 1:37